Early Lighthouse
Potluck Fundraiser

HAMPTON LIGHTHOUSE AND HISTORICAL SOCIETY

PLEASE BRING YOUR FAVOURITE DISH AND JOIN US FOR

A POT LUCK SUPPER

SUNDAY AUGUST 31, 2014
HAMPTON HALL 5:00 PM

KEEP THE LIGHT BURNING

WITH A

FREE WILL OFFERING

 
Welcome

Hampton Lighthouse

A white square tower with a red lantern.  It retains its 6th order dioptric lens.

On Friday November 30, 2001, the lights shone brightly at the Hampton Community Hall, sprightly music played and the tables were decorated with lighthouses. The community was gathered to celebrate the signing of the agreement passing ownership of the Hampton Lighthouse from the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) to the Hampton Lighthouse Society (Formerly the Tidal View Drive Association.). Hampton is the second light in Canada to be passed over for $1.00 under the 96-1 Directive (Cape Forchu, near Yarmouth, was the first.), and the first to be passed to a community non-profit association. Louise Sanderson and Barb Sancton, who did much of the work to get the light were glowing. Barb presented a special "loonie" ($1.00 coin) to Ed Gibney, who represented the Department of Fisheries and Oceans - the actual loonie given to her at the end of a yard sale to make up the society’s first $1000 in fund raising.

The lighthouse, perched on a hill above the fishing harbour, took six years of hard work to obtain. It’s in good shape. It even retains the original lens.

Early in the summer of 2008, a new Board of Directors was elected. The name was changed to the Hampton Lighthouse and Historical Society to reflect better its new mandate.

 

 

 

 

Subscribe to E-mail






Upcoming

Lighthouse Donations

Enter Amount:

Share our News