Early Lighthouse
History PDF Print E-mail

John Titus had the contract to build the Hampton Lighthouse.  It was built November 1911 by Joseph Marshall on a parcel of land bought from Lloyd Brooks.

When it was built it had a kerosene lamp that had to be lit each night at sunset and extinguished at daylight. The lightkeeper lived in his own house in he village. Supplies such as oil about 5 or 6 ( 45 gal. drums), brooms, rags, maps, paint, pails, soaps, etc. were brought by ship once a year, usually in June by the buoy boat "Dallard".  She would heave to about a mile offshore then a large tender or walk boat with about 20 sailors, mostly French, would bring the supplies ashore. If it was low tide they would land on the beach, use planks to roll the oil drums up on, and roll them all the way up the hill to the lighthouse. If it were high tide or if they could come along side the wharf, they would parbuckle the oil filled drums onto the wharf and roll them up the hill. The light was changed to electric in the 1940's.

The Coast Guard re-shingled the sides and repaired the top, starting between February and May 1993.

In 2001 The Department of Fisheries and Oceans passed the lighthouse over to the Hampton Lighthouse Society. They are now responsible for keeping it lit and for maintenance.

Early in the summer of 2008, a new Board of Directors was elected. The name was changed to the Hampton Lighthouse and Historical Society to reflect better its new mandate.

The exterior of the entire lighthouse was scraped and painted. A temporary exhibition was mounted inside. A more permanent one is under construction. The lighthouse was open to the public for visits on weekends until mid-September and it is hoped that in 2009 the lighthouse will be open from June until September on weekends and holidays.

 

Subscribe to E-mail






Upcoming

Lighthouse Donations

Enter Amount: