Early Lighthouse
Lighthouse Keepers PDF Print E-mail

The first light keeper was Mr. Thomas Burton. He tended the light for only a short period of time. Herbert Foster took over from Tom. In the 1920's Mr. Vernon Dunn took over from Herbert followed by Claude Hamilton in the 1950's. The federal Government changed in 1957 and Frank Cropley got the keeper's job from Claude but by this time the lighthouses were being automated, so Frank got very little pay. A short time after, the lightkeeper was replaced by the Department of Transport, whose men came every month or so to check on the lighthouse.

 

Subscribe to E-mail






Upcoming

Lighthouse Donations

Enter Amount: